Wednesday, August 19, 2009

I used to think that this was the easiest job ever. A dream job. I used to say that Heather and I were basically funded to do whatever we could to help people. That I could spend all day trying to initiate projects or connect people or organizations and that I would never have to stop to seek my own funding to sustain myself in the meantime. I never had to figure out how to get paid for it. The folley in this thinking is that it neglects to mention the stress created by the combination of the following elements: 1) Trying to help your best friends, who are poor and starving, to find a way to sustain themselves. and 2) Dealing with the guilty knowledge that if you fail, you don´t starve. You go home. We have so much, and so little.

1 comment:

Matt said...

You offically removed your head completely from the sand when you moved down there. It's a tough spot to be in, especially when you become friends with the people. The world is a harsh and unfair place for most of it's inhabitants. But at least you are doing something. Even if it's just caring about and loving someone... that alone can make someone's life worthwhile.