Sunday, June 8, 2008

Well what a week!


I came to matagalpa alone today. I almost got robbed! After I got off the bus I was walking in front of the market with my backpack on, I felt something and turned around to find a very small man unzipping it. I caught him red handed! Since he didnt make an effort to run, I decked him in the head with the backpack, full of books. I was proud of myself for hitting him. I wish though, that I had used my fist. It would have felt great!

Kory took a turn for the worse yesterday.. no he doesnt have cancer but thats what it sounds like doesnt it. I mean that he was treated for something nasty, the name of which escapes me right now, but it didnt help, so doing another test, this time pooing in a zip lock baggy because we have plum used all the stool/urine sample cups we had, the test determined an infection and he is treating with antibiotic. The humorous thing is that we are so much a part of eachothers lives now that we cannot be sick alone. If one of us is sick, the other one is too. So, I had sympathy sickness yesterday.

We had another banana tree down, unfortunately the only one with little bananas on it. Sad. The rain is turning down for a minute which we fully appreciate, but when its not raining, all kinds of beatles fly in our house. We have two kinds at the moment (and fyi all the chicharas have died, I have since found that the english word is Cicada just in case you know what this is). We have the Stupid Beatle- a 3/4 incher, kind of cute but really stupid. All beatles seam to be stupid, but this beatle has no redeaming quality. They are green and have huge butts. Next we have the Rhino Beatle- a 1 incher, black that has a rhino horn on the front. Its pretty sweet. Both beatles fly around until they fly into something hard, fall to the ground and knock themselves out cold for a minute, during which time they are scooped up in my homemade bug catcher and tossed into the rain.

I also found a big black leech crawling up my wall. And I killed two mice. Boy, you probably thought you would never hear that from me, but they are seriously a problem in the house. There is poop from hell to breakfast as some would say. I found they little cute poisoned bodies in my paper pile to burn, and threw them out into the streem. I do feel bad. Trust me.

This week we set up an HIV-AIDS billiards tournament. Kory went type the announcement up at our neighbors and he went completley nuts telling him how dangerous it is to go to a billiards hall. Needless to say the guy is COMPLETELY nuts!! Kory left without typing after an hour of lecture. BUT, we are very excited for the tournament. Its an opportunity to talk to men, which is a sect of the public lacking in health education since they do not come to the health center nor any other former trainings. It will be super fun! We will send pictures, and trust me its more dangerous walking on our street. Also we found an art school here that we will working with for fun.
We did an activity with our classes where they had to write 5 things about who they are, what kind of person they are and who they want to be and hand them in to us. Kory found this to be one of the papers the students handed in. It says :I want to be your lover, call me, you enchant me. Well. This is the second time kory has had teenagers ready to marry him despite me. Funny.
This week we also made a garden at the casa materna. We had to dig with a pick ax. It was fun as you can imagine. The seeds were sprouted the next day!
Thanks for all the people who responded last week to the blog! I really enjoy hearing from people that I havnt heard from in a long time. Em, I cant wait to get your package and hear your good news! I dont think we need any more seeds, my mom has sent us a buttload.


Well, I figured out how to make a campo oven yesterday and Im dang excited.
I couldt get my leña oven to work because people here can magically light large logs with no kindling. I absolutley cannot figure it out. So I figured out how to build an oven out of a large pot, a brick and my gas stove. I cannot attach pictures this week because our camera card now has a virus. So I have to see if I can get it burned before I erase it. Sad. I have some good ones fromthis week. Well. I must jet. love you all. heather

3 comments:

spintzdee said...

haha...i pictured an old lady hitting a purse snatcher with her purse...that is one of the coolest updates so far

B and Matty said...

Just wanted to let you both know that we always read your posts and think about you a lot. Even though we don't communicate very well. Hope you can keep the bugs out of your bodies (and out of your house). One day we will visit you...

Unknown said...

what is even funnier about that note is that 774 is the number that starts all la dalia landlines. so you would have to call her family's landline to inquire about being her amante!